Press Releases

Distributed: Dec 18, 2009

Alerts Login
loading.........

Share on StockTwits  
View in Other Languages 10310 8970 8866 8009 7993 7142 

Sydney, Dec 18, 2009 (ABN Newswire) - Wall Street stocks tumbled overnight on a second downgrade of Greece's sovereign debt in a month and Citigroup's capital raising. The US dollar rebounded as investors cut riskier assets. The US dollar index, which measures its performance against a basket of major currencies, rose to its highest level in more than three months.

Most Asian markets ended lower on Thursday with a 2.3% drop in China's Shanghai Composite Index and a 1.2% decline in Hong Kong's Hang Seng Index, after the China's securities regulator approved a number of initial public offerings over the past few days.

Company News

Japan's Chubu Electric (TYO:9502) has signed a binding A$30bn LNG sales agreement and taking a small stake in the A$43 billion Gorgon liquefied natural gas project in Western Australia. Gorgon operator and 47 per cent owner Chevron (NYSE:CVX) yesterday said Chubu had finally agreed to sign a 20-year sales and purchase agreement for 1.5 million tonnes a year of LNG after signing an initial agreement in 2005. Chubu will also take a 0.417 per cent equity stake in the Gorgon project for an undisclosed sum.

Taiwanese steelmaker China Steel Corp. (TPE: 2002) will invest in an iron ore extraction project in Brazil by buying 0.5 per cent of the project from Sumitomo Metal Industries Ltd. (TYO:5405) and another 0.5% from Itochu Corp. (TYO:8001). Six Japanese companies and Posco (SEO:005490) of South Korea now own a combined 40% of the project in the southeastern state of Minas Gerais and the remaining 60% is held by Brazilian steelmaker Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (SAO:CSNA3).

Blue-chip retailer Esprit Holdings Ltd. (HKG:0330) said it will take full control of its operations in China by buying out China Resources Enterprise Ltd.'s (HKG:0291) stake in a retail clothing joint venture for HK$3.88 billion. After it takes control of the venture, which operated 1,112 outlets in 171 cities across China as of June 30, Esprit may seek a more aggressive expansion in China, analysts said.

Coca-Cola West Co. (TYO:2579) said that major shareholder Kirin Holdings Co. (TYO:2503) has sold most of its 11.7% stake. After selling the Coca-Cola West shares to Nomura Securities Co., Kirin's stake is now down to 2.2%, which the brewer also plans to eventually unload. The sale is estimated at 15.7 billion yen based on the closing stock price Thursday.

Tata Motors Ltd.( BOM:500570)(NYSE:TTM), which controls U.K.-based luxury brands Jaguar and Land Rover, said its global vehicle sales grew 62% in November, helped by India's surging demand and sales of Land Rover's sport utility vehicles.


Share on StockTwits  

Contact

Michelle Liang
Asia Business News Asia Bureau
Tel: +61-2-9247-4344
Email: michelle.liang@abnnewswire.net

  Related Companies

>>>        Chevron Corporation
>>>        China Resources Enterprise, Limited
>>>        China Steel Corporation
>>>        Chubu Electric Power Company, Inc.
>>>        Coca-Cola West Co., Ltd.
>>>        Companhia Siderurgica Nacional (CSN)
>>>         Esprit Holdings Limited
>>>         Kirin Holdings Company, Limited.
>>>            POSCO
>>>         Sumitomo Metal Industries Limited
>>>        Tata Motors Limited

  Related Industry Topics:

Auto Manufacturing | Food & Beverage | Gas & Oil | Metals | Fashion & Cosmetics | Energy General | Financial General | Mining | 

  This Page Viewed:  (Last 7 Days: 33) (Last 30 Days: 133) (Since Published: 8009) 

103100 89700 88660 80090 79930 71420  (51290)

   

  ABN Newswire on Social Media

Site Search

 
 ENGLISH   All Languages
Send A Press Release
Connecting Investors with Opportunity

Upcoming Webcasts

Mr Glen Darby
Condor Blanco Mines
Monday, April 28, 2014

Mr Tim Mckinnon
Madison Resources Group
Monday, April 28, 2014

Mr Richard Johnson Director
Crater Gold
Monday, April 28, 2014

Mr Allan Kelly MD
Doray Minerals
Monday, April 28, 2014

Mr Christopher Darby MD & CEO
Valence Industries
Monday, June 09, 2014


Webcast Your Annual General Meeting

Mobile Video TV

qrcode
Scan with your Mobile Phone to view ABN Newswire Video Channel on Mobile
 
City Index - A Better Way To Trade