Corporate Presentation at International Metals Conference
What is HPA?
- Purified alumina (Al2O3)
- 99.99% (4N) purity or greater
- Smelter Grade Alumina (SGA) ~ 99.5% (5,000ppm impurities, mainly sodium)
- Bayer Process uses sodium hydroxide (NaOH)
- Sodium impurity is problem for electronics industry
Altech HPA Process
- Established HCl leach process
- Developed in 1980's by alumina industry
- Couldn't compete with Bayer SGA costs
- But great at producing HPA (no sodium-ions)
- However little demand for HPA in 1980s
- Demand for HPA is here today
To view the full presentation, please visit:
About Altech Chemicals Ltd
HPA is a high-value, high margin and highly demanded product as it is the critical ingredient required for the production of synthetic sapphire. Synthetic sapphire is used in the manufacture of substrates for LED lights, semiconductor wafers used in the electronics industry, and scratch-resistant sapphire glass used for wristwatch faces, optical windows and smartphone components. There is no substitute for HPA in the manufacture of synthetic sapphire.
Global HPA demand is approximately 25,315tpa (2016) and demand is growing at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 16.7% (2016-2024), primarily driven by the growth in worldwide adoption of LEDs. As an energy efficient, longer lasting and lower operating cost form of lighting, LED lighting is replacing the traditional incandescent bulbs.
Altech Chemicals Ltd